The original Togher GAA team was founded by Laurence Murphy, Togher House on the 8th of August 1885. In the early years, records show that there were teams in Knockraheen, Carrigower, Raheen, Moneymore, Parkmore and Trooperstown. It appears, however that Roundwood did not return as a team until 1911 and it was not until 1931 that we won our first County Club Championship in Rathdrum. This was followed in 1933 with victory in the Senior County Championship.
The club was ably run in the years that followed by Larry Murphy, WJ Duffy, Bill Murphy, Malachy Brennan, Eddie Heatley, Joe Nolan and Joe Keenan. The club had continued success in the forties and fifties. However despite this it appears from the records that the club ceased to exist in the mid fifties.
Ballinastoe GAA Club…
The Ballinastoe GAA Club was established circa 1951. Initially Joe and Peter Molloy’s field was used for their matches and later games were played in Cunningham’s field.
The team had success in The Junior B County Final in 1958, followed by an Intermediate title in 1975. Club meetings were held in Annacarter School, however as time went by the committee decided that the facilities did not meet the demands of the growing community.
In 1978 a field was made available by Pat Doyle at a reasonable price. Our club as we know it today, came to its new home! It wasn’t until a meeting in December of 1981 that Ballinastoe GAA ceased to exist and An Tóchar CLG was founded.